Published on October 1st, 2007 | by K44
Youriding tips & tricks
NOTE: This article is about an older version of Youriding, some tips might still work.
Youriding is a new online flash surfing game We already wrote about. It is getting really popular (of course it is, duh!!). At the moment there are over 20.000 surfers and over 28.000 bodyboarders 174.000 surfers and bodyboarders registered (see how youriding is spreading like fire :) ) and addicted and have their own surfers or bodyboarders in the game.
We are keeping our promise and we are making an update to the collection of Youriding surfing tips and tricks. We thank you all for your input (especially forkoff). We still invite you to to post your Youriding tips and tricks if you are willing to share them. Just post them in the comments.
Youriding surfing tips and tricks
These tricks were updated for the 1.4 version of Youriding. The game has changed quite a bit from the old version and is much more complex. The graphics and stuff is also much better. Tricks scores are now much more evenly distributed among different tricks. So it’s not just one trick all the time any more (just a roller slide after roller slide).
GENERAL YOURIDING TIPS AND TRICKS
- The first tip would be to change the control keys, they are made for a French keyboard that has different key placement.
- And the second tip would be to adjust the resolution / details so the game runs fast and smooth on your computer. If you have a slow computer it’s really hard to play on higher resolutions.
- Watch your speed and balance meter, if you do your tricks right (at the right time – see timing after the trick) you will loose less speed and balance and get more points.
- Stay close to the curl, there is where the big points are.
- Is the wave fast? If the wave is fast do rollers and snaps – you will lose less time and stay away from the foam.
- Is the wave slow? If the wave is slow there are many options. You really have to surf in the pocket. So make roller slides, roundhouse rollers and cutbacks. A cutback will give you around 1.000 points every time which is more that a badly executed roller. So use them to get back to the steep part of the wave.
- Is the wave slow? Wait for the curl, do not speed ahead, even wait with your take-off until the breaking wave gets close.
- Is the wave hollow? Rollers are usually best if the wave is hollow, you get better timing with them .
- Try different tricks on every wave and see what works best.
- The game says that repeating the same trick all the time will give you less points but I don’t think that is true. In bodyboard most of the waves are made to reduce the points every time you repeat a trick but search for the ones that do not reduce (some tricks are reduced every time like airs). Try to see if a reverse 360 is reduced. In surf just airs are reduced.
- If the tube is big you can make tricks in the tube, like a quick snap or even a roller (Jaws). There are better ways to score points… like staying deep in the tube.
- Most of the time don’t bother riding the tube, try to put in as many turns as you can. Tuberiding is great but in that time you can get more points by making open face tricks. Try to ride the tube as much as possible. Every wave should be tuberided. You have to wait for the right wave, not all the waves are good enough. Wait for the ones that are whiter (in deep blue waves and green ones) or darker (in already dark blue waves). To score big you need to ride the tube for as long as you can, short tuberides will not give you as many points. Also try to stay deeper in the tube – watch your balance meter!
- At some waves tube riding scores really big points (G-Land, Mundaka for instance). These are the waves where you can stay in the tube for a long time. Looooong and deep tubes give you big scores.
- If you see you won’t make the tube try to exit it at the top. This is not possible any more.
- Also save the airs and floaters for the end, you can make two rollers instead of one air and get more points.
- Finish with an air or a floater – just befor the wave closes out try to make a floater over the breaking section. Do not finish your waves in an air, make an air before the wave ends and then use a floater. Floater will give you more points and normally it’s better for getting to the foam without falling. Try to start the floater with balance bar full, so you can make a long floater.
- Try to ride your wave all the way to the sand until it is gone. Even if you are not making tricks your score is rising. This one is not true on every wave anymore. On the new waves you do not earn points by being on the foam so don’t bother trying to get to the foam to early.
- While riding the foam to the beach make cutbacks, that will give you more points (if the wave scores foam that is, see tip no.16).
- Every wave is different so you must figure out how to ride it and what tricks work best.
- You should also put your skill points where you need them for a specific wave. If its all tube then make your tuberiding 100% for example.
- You should also pimp you equipment. This will give an additional boost to your skill, so choose the right surfboard/fins for the wave.
- Get to know the wave so you can think ahead. Like to have enough speed for the section you know is coming etc… Enjoy!
BODYBOARDING SPECIFIC TIPS AND TRICKS
We are not that good at bodyboarding so these are the tips contributed by our readers. But we guess that most of the general tips stand for both surfing and bodyboarding:
- In all waves do a lot of revers spins in the fast waves and you will get a lot of points.
That’s it for now. Any additional Youriding surfing ideas are warmly welcomed and will be included in the list, just leave them in the comments.
Now if you want more, then check out our youriding wave by wave tips.
Now go here to play YOURIDING and put these tips to good use :)